For Immediate Release
March 16, 2020
STATEMENT FROM THE CHIEF: COVID-19
Beardy’s & Okemasis’ Cree Nation, Treaty 6 – The following statement was released by Chief Petit in response to the COVID-19 pandemic:
“During this time, we are asking that membership please take all recommended precautions to ensure that you are doing your part to help stop the potential spread of the virus; language and behavior that can cause undue panic in the community does not help anyone. If you have legitimate information, recommendations, or solutions, please share those – everyone’s input is welcome.
The BOCN has in place an Emergency Management Team (EMT) consisting of leadership, health, and other staff who are trained in preparation for all kinds of different emergency scenarios. These individuals continue to monitor the situation for any changes as they occur locally, provincially, and nationally.
Since before the World Health Organization (WHO) announcement that the situation had been upgraded to a pandemic, preparations had already been underway to update and formulate the plan for how we as a community would deal with the situation as it unfolded. During the past few days, the EMT has met daily to review information as it comes in; and following the latest reliable medical advice, news reports, and the decisions that are being made by other governments. The EMT is using all tools available to keep the community informed.
Information will continue to be shared through:
- Text Blasting – this is the easiest, most efficient way to keep informed. Simply text “BOCN” to 393939 to be added to the service.
- Website – http://bocn9697.com.
- Social Media – only reliable, relevant, and credible information will be posted to the Chief & Council Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Direct Delivery – to on-reserve households will continue as the situation warrants.
- Local Radio – 103.3 CHIT FM. Timings will be announced.
Please do your part by sharing information with your clans, families who might not have access to the above methods of information distribution.
**THE MAIN MESSAGE THAT IS BEING SHARED WORLDWIDE IS TO CONCENTRATE ON STOPPING THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS**
You can do your part by:
- Washing your hands thoroughly and regularly;
- Practicing proper cough etiquette (into your sleeve or shoulder)
- Practicing ‘social distancing’: 2 metres or 6 feet apart, avoiding unnecessary travel, avoiding shaking hands, hugging, kissing, etc.
- STAY HOME.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this difficult time.
An updated information package is being prepared and will be delivered as soon as possible.“
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Chief & Council Communications
firstname.lastname@example.org | 306-467-4523