Beardy’s & Okemasis’ Cree Nation is seeking a highly motivated individual, who will provide leadership, management, and mentorship as the Director of Public Works & Housing. Under the direct supervision of the Councillor i/c Public Works & Housing, the “Director – Public Works & Housing” is the Administrative Head of the Department of Public Works & Housing with the Beardy’s & Okemasis’ Cree Nation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Department of Public Works & Housing;
- Direct the general administrative functions of the department;
- Analyze, design and improve the processes by which services are delivered to ensure efficiency, quality assurance, productivity and safety of program(s);
- Forecast future demand for goods and services;
- Manage materials including purchasing, inventory control and distribution;
- Manage logistics and supply chains (the movement of goods in and out of production, and distribution);
- Develop contingency plans for unexpected changes in suppliers;
- Complete applicable reports to funders/supervisors in a timely manner;
- Prepare and manage budgets including department finances;
- Keep records such as supplier accounts, project files etc;
- Execute the Council’s directives and policies;
- communicate regularly with the Tenants on issues affecting the property
- prepare annual management plans for properties
- ensure that properties are properly maintained and comply with codes and applicable bylaws;
- prepare annual budgets and review and report on monthly variances from the budget;
- build and maintain good tenant-owner relations
- negotiate, prepare and administer leases and other legal agreements;
- regularly inspect each property and focus on risk management;
- obtain quotes or bids from contractors for repairs, renovations or maintenance;
- supervise contractors and staff;
- ensure that work has been satisfactorily completed and approve invoices;administer and maintain records of damage and security deposits and rent(s) for community-owned buildings;
- Administer applicable human resources programs including staff leave;
- Manage supplier and customer relationships;
- Promote and maintain excellent public relations;
- Lead regular staff meetings to promote ongoing communication and teamwork;
- Adhere to the Personnel Management Act & Regulations or any other departmental or community policy.
- Perform other job-related duties as required and assigned by the Councillor in charge of Public Works & Housing.
- The incumbent will be required to respond to emergency situations at all hours of the day, that may arise in the community.
- Public Works & Housing must often deal with the complex needs and concerns of community members, staff, and suppliers on a regular basis.
- Working conditions contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Work in an office environment but are often away from the office inspecting properties and monitoring contractors;
- Their work days tend to be unstructured and they must deal with frequent interruptions;
- They work normal business hours, although long hours and evening meetings are sometimes required; and
- Often required to deal with emergencies on weekends and holidays.
- University Degree, Diploma, or certificate in Business Administration, Land Use/Urban Planning, or related field; (a combination of work history/experience may be considered);
- Experience with Public Works, Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation, Band Based Capital is considered an asset;
- Class 5 Driver’s License with a reliable vehicle;
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- A demonstrated ability to motivate, lead and manage employees;
- A strong commitment to customer service;
- Ability to create and work in a team environment.
Apply by sending a resume and cover letter to: Human Resource Officer
RE: Director of Public Works & Housing
Beardy’s & Okemasis’ Cree Nation Band Office (Drop Off)
Application deadline: May 5, 2023, at 12pm