SPECIAL BAND MEETING NOTICE
For the purpose, of Amendments to the BAND CUSTOM ELECTION ACT
DATE: Monday, December 19, 2016
TIME: 5:00pm — 9:00pm
LOCATION: REC CENTRE, BEARDY’S AND OKEMASIS
Notice is hereby given to the electors of the Beardy’s and Okemasis First Nation that a special Band meeting has been called for reviewing and voting on the proposed amendments to the Band Custom Election Act.
“Amendments are approved if a simple majority (50% + 1) of members attending the special meeting vote in favour of the amendments and that there be a minimum of 100 people in attendance of any special meeting in order for the meeting to proceed.” (Beardy’s & Okemasis First Nation Band Custom Election Act).
The meeting will be held to determine if there is support by the eligible voters for the following questions. The vote will be by a show of hands. Voters will vote “yes” or “no” to the following questions:
1. Do you agree with the amendments, formatting changes, restructuring of the Band Custom Election Act? (not including those stated in the questions below)
Regarding Specific Significant Changes to the Act:
2. Do you agree with changing the name from Band Custom Election Act, to Beardy’s and Okemasis Cree Nation Election Act?
3. Do you agree with addition of the Preamble in the document?
4. Do you agree that a Beardy’s and Okemasis First Nation member must show proof they have not been convicted of an indictable offence, or if he/she has been convicted of an indictable offence, he/she has received a pardon through the Canadian Legal System?
5. Do you agree that each candidate should pay an election fee for Chief $400.00 (CDN) and Councillor $200 (CDN) in order to be eligible to run for Chief or Councillor, with funds to be used to pay election expenditures?
6. Do you agree that all candidates must agree to take a drug test showing the absence of banned drugs as in the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. S.C. 1996, C.19.?
7. Do you agree that if they do not show absence of banned drugs that the candidate be deemed ineligible to run for Chief or Councillor?
8. Do you agree that the Composition of Councillors should be reduced from eight (8) to six (6)?
9. Do you agree that the Election Appeal Board consist of both band members and non-band members?
10. Do you agree with adding the Oath of Office for the Elected Chief and Councillors to be part of the Election Law as an appendix?
11. Do you agree with adding the Job description for the Elected Chief and Councillors to be part of the Election Law as an appendix?
Copies of the proposed changes can be obtained from Beardy’s and Okemasis receptionist and online at: http://bofn9697.com/governance/
For more information contact Councillor Leighanne Gardipy-Bill at 306.467.4523 and at LGardipy@beardysband.com
<<original signed by>>
Councillor in charge of Governance
Beardy’s & Okemasis First Nation
Date: December 1, 2016